View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Crisalide
Yorkie Talker

I used to think having an AKC registered dog meant something special, but not anymore. True, AKC is "stricter" in that they are closed registry but I think this can act as both a pro and a con.

Pro, in that a dog's pedigree is often more traceable and verifiable, Con in that anyone can register any purebred dog with AKC whose parents are AKC reg. whether that dog conforms to breed standard and/or is free of congenital defects or not; however they CANNOT register a dog with AKC unless BOTH parents are AKC registered even if it can be proven that the dog is a purebred, perfectly healthy and conforms perfectly to the breed standard.

For this reason, there are many AKC registered breeders (and yes, including many puppy-millers) who feel that they can overcharge unscrupulous buyers for their puppies simply because of their AKC registration status, since many uninformed people think that AKC registration automatically "guarantees" that the puppy will conform to breed standard and/or that it somehow verifies that the breeder is reputable.

While many byb's and puppy-millers do use other registries because they may have been booted from the AKC, that doesn't automatically mean that the reverse is true (I have seen more dogs in pet stores registered with AKC than any other registry btw). A dog's AKC registration papers may have simply been lost, or they were just never registered, or they came with limited AKC registration. And yes, there are also a lot of people who have volunarily left the AKC in favor of another registry because they don't like how the AKC operates.

Here's a couple of interesting articles which express criticisms of the AKC:

http://www.daphneszoo.com/id16.html
http://network.bestfriends.org/puppy...ews/11808.html

I personally don't favor any one registry over the other, and ultimately think that the quality of puppy you're getting rests soley on the honestly and integrity of that particular breeder, and has little to do with what registry they are with.

There are many AKC loyalists who will argue with anyone till they are blue in the face that any dog who is not AKC registered is automatically inferior/not purebred/came from a puppy mill/etc.. no ifs ands or buts, ... thankfully however, I know better than that based on both my own personal experiences and observation.

And since I have no interest in ever showing dogs with the AKC or at all for that matter (a couple of the other registries do sponsor their own dog shows however), I'm not going to be swindled into paying double, triple or even quadruple for a dog if the price in question is soley based on the fact that it is AKC registered.

Last edited by Crisalide; 02-03-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Crisalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!