Thread: Kennel Cough
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
ingrid rose
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfitpilates View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine....

Kennel cough is the equivalent of a cold/cough that a kid would get at school. Its sounds horrible!! But is not a very serious illness if the doggie is looked after with sensible care. Its like sending your kids to school and expecting they will never come home with a cold.

The vaccine is only noted to last for 5-8 months, depending on the size and general metabolism of the dog. So do the math that at any given time a population of dogs is only at best 45-77% vaccinated- and only for the strain that happens to be in the vaccine at that time.

But the vets don't educate people to these facts, just take their money once a year for the Bordatella vaccine. arrgggg....

I know it sounds like torture when you hear those poor little things cough like that! But, if you believe in western/bio meds, you can give a tiny dose of a cough med and it will help calm their cough.

btw, I go to a boarding kennel that not only doesn't require the bordatella vacc, they'd prefer that you don't give it (we only titer for the rest of their vaccinations and get the rabies shot every three years because it is NYState law) And since I've been taking my various and assorted pupsters there, over ten years, there has never been an outbreak at his kennel. Good hygiene, cleaning with naturally antibacterial/ antimicrobial essential oils, lots of fresh air. We love him!!! I drive 45 minutes to get there and it is worth it! And of course they come home spoiled rotten, but I wouldn't have it any other way!!
Being that I am a school teacher, I understand how easy it is to get colds from another students......but what I;m pissed at is the fact that the vet did not explain to me that it will only cover a part of a cold and there are hundreds of different virusis out there........
I agree with you they take your money and dont explain a damm thing...and that is why I phoned him.....
second, I too think that the kennel is really not that clean, otherwise there would not be 4 dogs with colds....and who knows how many other dogs are infected....more than likely a lot would be my guess.
you did mention that the vaccine is only good for 5-8 months? see thats another thing he (vet ) did not tell me...GRRRRRRRR

I know I;m rambling but I had to phone the vet and the kennel to make a point......so now I;m hoping that the kennel cleans up their place because I have to take Mya there again at Easter....and if she comes home with another cough I will be asking to look at their facilities....
ingrid rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!