View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
kathylynch
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
We were up all night Friday night delivering a litter. I took the moms temperature yesterday afternoon and all was normal. I alway do this to make sure mom is not getting any infection. Last night, I got up at 12:30 to check on everyone and the mom was out of her whelping box and panting very hard. I took her temperature and it was 105.7. I immediately knew she was in trouble. I mixed up some amoxicilin and gave her a dose. I was getting ready to call the vets and she started pushing very, very hard. I saw a foot sticking out and after a little work she passed a dead pup. I felt so bad but also relieved. I gave the mom some K-9 Bluelite solution. She passed lots more black gunk (placenta) and seemed to be settling down. I had another mom that had two one week old pups and she had plenty of milk so I put the sick moms pups with her (she was thrilled to have more babies to look after). Needless to say, I was exhausted after being up all night the night before. After I felt the situation was under control I went to bed about 1:30. I woke up at 4 a.m to check on mom again. Her temperature had dropped to 104.1 and she seemed to be doing well and her pups that were with the other mom were all fine. I went back to bed and slept untl 6:30 this morning. I took moms temperature and it was down to 102.1 so I think we will be o.k. The mom ate well and around 9:30 I pup her pups back with her. I will have to continue to monitor the situation but I think everything will be o.k.
you need to get her to the vet. Have her checked out just to be safe.
It is better safe than sorry especially with the big litter.
If may save you money in the long run if there is anything going on
to catch it ASAP. I would rather get a vets opinion then to just rely
on looking at her and saying she is o.k. even though the temp has droped.
she may need somthing stronger jmo.
I hope she does better!!
kathylynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!