View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Default We had a scare last night

We were up all night Friday night delivering a litter. I took the moms temperature yesterday afternoon and all was normal. I alway do this to make sure mom is not getting any infection. Last night, I got up at 12:30 to check on everyone and the mom was out of her whelping box and panting very hard. I took her temperature and it was 105.7. I immediately knew she was in trouble. I mixed up some amoxicilin and gave her a dose. I was getting ready to call the vets and she started pushing very, very hard. I saw a foot sticking out and after a little work she passed a dead pup. I felt so bad but also relieved. I gave the mom some K-9 Bluelite solution. She passed lots more black gunk (placenta) and seemed to be settling down. I had another mom that had two one week old pups and she had plenty of milk so I put the sick moms pups with her (she was thrilled to have more babies to look after). Needless to say, I was exhausted after being up all night the night before. After I felt the situation was under control I went to bed about 1:30. I woke up at 4 a.m to check on mom again. Her temperature had dropped to 104.1 and she seemed to be doing well and her pups that were with the other mom were all fine. I went back to bed and slept untl 6:30 this morning. I took moms temperature and it was down to 102.1 so I think we will be o.k. The mom ate well and around 9:30 I pup her pups back with her. I will have to continue to monitor the situation but I think everything will be o.k.

Last edited by bjh; 02-03-2008 at 09:37 AM.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!