View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
Mom2BabyNatalie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypreciouspups View Post
I do agree with this. I have a yorkie, nuertered, that has LP. He was fine when we got him, my BIL was just stupid while I was out shopping with my sister and had him running up and down their deck stairs.. the rises were to high for him, he was only 1.9 pounds at the time.. apparently they did this all afternoon.. I was mad and I told him the why's.. I had already told him to leave him be in two 3x5 cages put together on the ends so he has room for one side to sleep and play, the other was a pp pad and water..Needless to say I to believe that too many people think it is cute for their little yorkie to jump up and stand on their hind legs. I know a girl that has to show me every time he little 3.5 pound yorkie is outside and jumps high enough for her to see her in the screen/glass area of her door.. every time I tell her the same time.. does not help.. but people do not realized these little guys are fragile.
Although I do think it can certainly be genetic.. kacee got this at like 5/6 months old, it would not have been the breeders fault. and she had not had any of these problems with any other puppy.. I still keep in touch with her to this day.
I take my puppies to the vet, have all shots kept updated, keep them as healthy as possible.. If my vet says a puppy is to young to do bile acid testing, then I will wait as you never breed a young puppy anyway. I do not test my puppies, I have had 7 and had a problem with my little gracie, and it came from dad, so he is now with my friend as a pet only. I will not breed a yorkie, if I know there is anything genetically wrong with one or the other.. I would not sell a sick puppy. I also have my puppies shots and first worming done at the vets. I then get wormer to take home for me to do after that. but all needles I believe should be done with a vet, not a breeder. I also got stung with a yorkie, that at 6 months I was told had all shots, (by breeder) other then rabies.. two months later she got parvo, the breeder called me an idiot. She was/is a huge show breeder in Canada..
I have so far kept in touch with all my babies new parents.. one comes to visit me in the winter every couple days, plays with all my guys and leave.
I would not breed a yorkie that has any huge personality problems, they have to be fun loving, outgoing, liking people and other dogs.. ( I do watch them too much) I do not take my dogs into a pet store.
I do not let my puppies go until they are 12 weeks, although I have when the person was around the corner and came over daily.. I have also allowed puppy to go daily with new parents once. In the agreement that the dog is not put down on any strange ground.. and I make sure new owners are so aware of parvo and the effects of wanting to take puppies for a walk too early. Amazing how many people have no clue about parvo,, even though they have had other dogs..
I do not use my stud dog as a stud to anyone.
Most of all, I try to have my babies in cages at night prior to leaving, I have them very socialized and not afraid to be picked up and get to go outside in my back yard once they have had a first parvo shot. I am a little to protective with the baby's.. not wanting people to just want to come and see. too much to worry about.
All my dogs get blood work done on them. So far I have had great luck with my baby's and the new parents. all my dogs must be spayed or neutered. I always have to call me when it is done. I have not sold any of my baby's for breeding.
Hope I did not leave anything out.
I agree with most of this.... except I've always given my own vaccinations and worming... I think many breeders do... I always attach the batch number label to the vaccination record so that the new vet will know what the pup has been given...

I think you bring up a good point though, about people coming and going around your dogs / puppies.

So many people complain about breeders not welcoming them into their homes with open arms... of course, it's natural to want to come see the parents and family of the pup you want to make a part of your world... see how they interact, how they are "kept" / cared for... their living environment....

But with all the nasty things out there that new pups can be exposed to - before ever having built up an immunity .... even the parents of the pups, can be exposed to disease and bring it back to the litter.... heck, even WE can, for that matter....

Personally, I prefer to limit as much as possible, any outside elements... and I've never "been okay" with allowing people into my home to "meet the parents"....

Some folks will allow it.... some will have visitors wear booties/masks/sterile gowns, etc.... but I don't care to take the risk.... way too much to lose.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!