View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #12
addicted
IheartYorkies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
Whenever someone mentions breeding their dog, we are always quick to tell them that both the male and female need to be screened for certain health problems and defects. I don't see a lot of info from breeders, however, on what exactly to screen for and how to go about it. I would really love to hear from breeders (both show breeders AND non-show breeders). What do you screen your breeding dogs for, and how do you specifically screen for it? Also, do you feel it is important to submit results to organizations such as OFA or not? If you choose not to screen for something, what are your reasons not to?

I really hope that breeders will respond to this and be honest about what they do and do not screen for. It seems to be hard to get breeders to talk about what they personally feel is important to screen for. When I look for my next puppy in a few years, I want to know what I should realistically expect the breeder to screen for and what tests just really aren't done and why.

I also want to say that I do NOT want this thread to turn into a "who is right, who is wrong" thread or a "who is reputable and who is not" thread...I would like to thread to be informative. And again, I really hope breeders will be honest so other potential breeders and puppy buyers can be informed as to what they should expect so far as health screening.
Great topic! I would love to know also .
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!