View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I have been breeding Yorkies for 10 years and have never screened for anything. In 10 years I have never had a puppy returned because of health problems. I have alway just given the basic 48 hour health guarantee. One time a puppy died after the lady had the puppy for 10 days. The puppy had been sick for a couple of days before she took it to the vets and she never bothered to call me. She had the vet do an autopsy and the vet said all he could find was that the puppy had a big stomach ulcer. I really felt that because the lady was taking the puppy to work with her at the beauty salon that maybe it was just too much stress. Anyway, I did give the lady her money back even though I did not have to. This was the only time I have ever been asked for a refund. This was back when I was letting my puppies go at 6 weeks. I know better now. Although, I do let some of mine go now at 8 weeks occasionally, I try to keep most until they are 10 to 12 weeks. I feel like that does not make me a bad breeder. I have only had to have one c-section in 10 years of breeding and that was a 5 lbs female that had one big puppy in her. Most of my breeding females have alway been 6 to 8 lbs and I feel that I why I have had very few problems.

It seems to me that the tiny Yorkies are having most of the health problems. Breeders that sell these tiny Yorkies are too quick to send them out the door too young with a tube of Nutri-cal.

I am confused myself about genetic testing. I don't personally know any other breeders that test except one breeder that does a blood panel when the puppies are about 12 weeks old to screen for liver shunt. I have heard controversy about how accurate the blood panels are at 12 weeks. I also don't know how easy it is to tell on 8 to 12 week old puppy if it has luxating petallas. I don't think most breeder guarantee against that.

I am currently trying to re-do my breeding program and will concentrate on breeding show quality dogs. I know it will be difficult but that is my goal and it will take time.

Last edited by bjh; 02-01-2008 at 04:53 PM.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!