Thread: silky terriers
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
larsensyorkies
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveYorkiesFL View Post
I remember reading an AKC article a few years back about the differences of the two breeds and the reasons for similarities in the pet world. With the irresponsible breeding practices going on, individual characteristics of the two breeds have blurred. Many BYB are breeding yorkies to silkies (unintentionally/intentionally)... it's sad. You can't even tell a Yorkie from a silky these days! Some "yorkie" breeders aren't even aware of the "silky" breed. These two beautiful breeds are loosing their identities...real fast!
When I was looking for my first yorkie awhile ago I went to this one breeder's house and the puppies didn't look quite right so I asked to see the parents and I'm pretty sure they were Silkies. The lady tried telling me they were "Silky-Yorkshire Terriers" and there were no regular Yorkies in the states. I don't know if she was just dumb or was trying to scam me but thankfully I had done my research. I think there are several Silky breeders out there that just call them yorkies since yorkies usually cost more. Its really sad.
larsensyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!