View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I know I am in the minority here but I am not too quick to neuter to keep the pet population down (that just doesn't seem like a good reason to be taking body parts out to me...just make sure he stays away from girls) and I also am not sure that neutering to avoid marking is a good choice.

I like to base my decisions on what medically could happen if I did or didn't do it. While about 50% of unneutered males will get testicular tumors, only about 7% (?) of these are cancerous and I think it is about 1% who die from them. The only thing is, you will probably have to neuter anyway if he does develop any kind of lumps. So you could just do it now and get it over with. Then again there are plenty of health RISKS to neutering. An increase in osteosarcoma is one of them but this is more prevalent in large breeds. I would suggest you study it out for yourself and make your decision based on what you think is right.

I'm not saying I would never neuter for marking or population control but I don't think it is an easy decision.

Last edited by Ellie May; 01-31-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!