View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
bfitpilates
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayerae23 View Post
I have a 6.5 month-old male yorkie. We have had him since October and love him a lot, but he WILL NOT let us sleep at night, and it's killing us. We've read the books, but they're no help.

We put him in his crate at bedtime and make sure he's gone potty just before. Sometimes he whines, sometimes he sleeps for an hour and then whines. We tried letting him stay in there all night, but he 1. whines the whole time and/or 2. gets so upset he poops and rolls in it.

We've tried letting him in the bed, which is what he wants, but he still runs around the bed all night and wakes us up. He runs around until we're forced to take him out.

We cut off his food and water earlier and earlier, but he still wants to go once or twice a night--every night.

I know they're social and need to sleep in the same room with us, but we have started putting him in the guest bathroom where we keep him when we're working because we just need to sleep so badly. He hates it.

I love him, but I'm SO tired and frustrated.

HELP!!!!!!

You may be surprised to find out just how much exercise it takes to wear these little guys out! Have you seen the 'yorkie on the treadmill' video?? They really require quite intense exercise (watching for any signs of hypoglycemia, of course) He's a solo dog, I take it? Does he have friends to play with? You need to do very active games with them, not just always quiet them down with chewy treats, even though that is always soooo much easier!

What are you doing with him for activities now? We can help with some suggestions if you need them,

Last weekend I was in bed with bronchitis for two days, and by that 2nd night, Purl was up all night chewing on my hair (both cute and annoying ) She just had too much energy in her.

Jill
bfitpilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!