View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

First you need to buy from a reputable breeder. If you want a show quality dog you should find some show breeders in you area and go look at their dogs, ask questions. There is a difference between show potential and show quality. A show breeder may sell a puppy at 12 weeks that might have show potential but you don't know until they get older. They may sell it say for $1500 but no guarantee that it will or can become a champion. A show quality dog is one that is usually over 6 month old and the breeder knows that particular dog is show quality because they know the parents bloodline and understand correct conformation. Most reputable breeders sell their show quality puppies $2500 up and require a strict contract stating that the dog will be shown. The breeder usually stays on the dogs papers as a co-owner.

Most people that are not familiar with Yorkies and the Yorkshire Terrier standard would have a hard time knowing if the puppy is show quality. There is a lot of inconsistencies in the Yorkshire Terrier breed and even many show breeders can't agree on what a show quality dog should look like. I would say that the majority of the Yorkies being produced today are strictly pet quality and it would be very rare to find a show quality puppy from a individual that is not a show breeder. If you are serious about getting a Yorkie then take your time and study the breed and don't be afraid to ask questions. I hope I haven't rambled too much.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!