View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
littlewhip
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDiana View Post
I think the important thing is try and make the crate a comfortable place for them, somewhere they want to be. Entice them with treats. Tire them out beforehand (heavy play time or walks work well) so that they associate the crate with calming down. The goal is to get them to think of the crate as their special den, NOT a place for punishment. Also, don't just throw her in there and then leave for 5 hours. Start small. Spend a whole day doing this. Leave the door open.. let her sniff around and get comfortable. Eventually, she'll step inside to explore. If she does, praise and treat. If not, I think it's okay to put her inside. After a couple of times, let her go in (or put her in) and close the door. Only for a couple of seconds though. Once again, praise and treat. Gradually start increasing the time she's in the crate. Start off with 5 minutes while you're still in the room. Then 10. Then slowly leave the room. Eventually, she'll learn that when she's in the crate, she has to do her own thing.

And most importantly.. NEVER let her out if she whines or barks. They usually quiet down once they realize you're not there or that you're not going to let them out. What always worked with Franklin was slamming a door in another room to make him think I'd left. Once they stop barking, rush to let them out. Make sure they're quiet for a good couple of minutes though so that they associate being calm with freedom.

Hope this helps!
Great advise to the op, it can be done I have create trained 5 at diffrent times

Join today and remove this ad!