Thread: Pancreatitis
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Awwww.......
Why do you think this?
I was reading another thread and I think it was you that listed some symptoms of your dog and I thought it was pancreatitis.
What are his symptoms?
Some symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy... and then it can get serious (organ problems and death).
There is acute pancreatitis (more like a one time thing) which seems to come out of nowhere and then there is chronic pancreatitis which is usually milder.
Dogs with this disease could wind up in the hospital on IVs.
Usually high fat meals set it off but excess calcium in the blood stream and trauma to the abdominal area are other possibilities.

I never knew Ellie had a problem with this until her ultrasound the other day. Her pancreas looks bright and angry. This is probably what it is. I think I may have done it to her by giving her canned Innova for a bile acid test. It has turkey skin in it and is way too high in fat (but she needed high fat for the test...). Never again will I give that and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

What do you need to know?
Amylase and I think lipase levels might be elevated on a blood panel. His abdomen could also be painful. It would cost up to $1000-$2000 ro treat per time in the hospital with testing and everything, so I would definately stay low fat on everything. Can you go see your vet?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!