Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
LIL MIS' MAGIC
Yorkie Lover
Donating Member

I am still very new to the showing world, so I will tell you my experience from it. I am not currently showing yorkies, I own a silky and am also specializing another silky right now...but do hope to one day show a yorkie!!

I went to my first dog show over three years ago, we really went just to go see all the goregous yorkies...once there I was in total amazement at the whole experience and knew that I would one day want to be involved with showing. I spoke to several yorkie handlers, met alot of wonderful people, and also to some other breeds owners as well. It was at this show that I meet my mentor, although I wouldn't not know it for a couple of years. I meet this couple who breeds silkies and were so knowledgable and helpful that I got their information and promise to contact them when I was ready.

Last November I finally came to a point in my life where I had the time to get involved...so I called up the Silky breeder to see if they had any puppies available and to my luck they had one male left. The breeder quickly became my mentor as I learned so much from him, he taught me how to train the dog for the ring and how to handle myself in the ring. He was so supportive and was there for all the good/bad/fustrating and exciting times. I attended many more shows before my new puppy would be ready for the ring...I watched all the handlers around me and went to some handling classes more for myself than the dog. You want to make sure you are as ready for the ring as the dog is...

I attended my first show in March 2007 with Captain and instantly fell in love with being in the ring...Captain got his first point that weekend and I couldn't wait to show him again. We went to a bunch of shows and we won some and lost even more...but six months later I finished my first champion and I don't think anyone could ever tell you what that feels like.

I have been so lucky in my show career, I have met some wonderful people...the Hurds (my mentors) and Donna have probably had the biggest impact on me. They have given me an opportunity most dont' get so soon!!

Now almost a year later, I still loving showing as much or more as I did that first time...there are hard times but the wins you do have make up for all of that.

I would say to get a male first as they are so much easier to train and deal with in the ring...they tend to be more willing to please you and will help you to get more comfortable in the ring. Find some one you can trust and ask lots of questions, talk to as many people as you can about the breed but also just able handling in general...the one thing I found the most helpful was to watch other handlers and more importantly watch the junior handlers...they KNOW what they are doing and are usually some of the best to learn from.

Last edited by LIL MIS' MAGIC; 01-24-2008 at 06:20 PM.
LIL MIS' MAGIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!