Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
love_me_cody
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
You live in a great area for dog shows. Have you been to any shows yet? There are plenty of them in the Austin and San Antonio area. Donna had a lot of great advise. I agree that it is much better to start with a male. Find a show breeder that has Yorkies that you like. You will be able to learn a lot from them. It can be a lot of fun showing a puppy. It is alway nice to take a puppy to a few shows to get them used to all the commotion and then once they feel comfortable in the ring you can concentrate on growing coat. As far as costs, it costs anywhere from $18 to $24 for entry fees per show. Handlers usually charge anywhere from $60 to $100 per show just to walk in the ring. If you send your dog with a handler then you will have to pay a daily boarding fee plus money for gas and lodging for the handler. Now, when purchasing a puppy, if you are serious about showing and want a show quality dog you are looking at paying around $2500. Most show breeders do require a show contract but not all. I think a show quality puppy should be at least 6 months old. I know some show breeders sell show prospects at 12 weeks but you really can't at that age if the puppy will be show quality. It would be good if you could find someone knowledgeable to go with you to look at the pups. Once you get your show puppy then the work begins. You have to be ready for a serious commitment in caring for the coat but that is a whole different subject.
More great info. I have been talking to some show breeders and their prices seem to be over $3000. If I could find a breeder for one around $2500 then I would have been more likely to get one in this year and try something out.
I was wondering have anyone ever paid a breeder in advance for a show quaility dog or do you just stay with the breeder until the pup is old enough to tell (then pay if it is what you want)?

-(this is to everyone) Can you tell me the average amount of shows some of your dogs go to in a month? I'm trying to calculate the price I would have to invest total.
love_me_cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!