Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Brooklynn
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Go to shows but it takes more than one show to attend, join the breed club and go from there. I just happened into my mentor by joining the Bluebonnet Yorkshire Terrier club in the Dallas area. I got started actually by luck...what takes most several years to achieve took me a very short amount of time to accomplish. But I guess it came from being involved with horses most of my life and knowing the dedication it takes to achieve what you want. I went out there and proved myself in the show ring and I do have a pretty good eye for what I like and what best represents the standard as I interpute it.
I would start off with a male but that's my preference for the show ring. I would take handling classes and learn to show myself but I like the competition and being in the ring...not to say I haven't hired a handler because I have many times and will do again when I see the need....I wouldn't pay a handler to show a puppy though. When hiring a handler I would wait until the dog was in show coat. Won't cost so much because its not real easy for a puppy to finish quick, not to say it can't be done because it can but save yourself money and wait to hire a handler when you know the dog is ready to win!
Ususally when you co-own is when you buy a show dog and the breeder wants to make sure their dog is in great hands and has some control but when you have the dog you are responsible for all the costs unless you have a contract drawn up. I co-owned my male until he finished his championship but now I am full owner but I still have a contract with his breeder and I do have to have his permission on some things
But join the breed club first and go to shows and learn all you can first and that will show that you are interested in showing and will have a good chance at finding a mentor.

Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!