Thread: 2 Crates??
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
joeysowner
Yorkie Talker

Default 2 Crates??

This is my first post...mostly because I'm not quite sure how these chat websites work...I have 2 Yorkies, Joey (male) is 1 and potty trained and Harley (female) is 4 months old and we're working on it. Joey used a small plastic crate for sleeping in until we got Harley the first of Dec. He now sleeps on the bed and she is in the crate. The problem is during the day. I cannot go anywhere or do anything! I am a prisoner in my own family room. Before if I left, I'd leave Joey in the family room for a while, never over 2-3 hours and that would be fine. Harley can slip through the gate, so we put up some plastic grating which kept Joey from doing it until he got to be too big, but she's learned how to climb over it...in a matter of seconds she's loose! We had a 2x2 plastic "pen" that we stopped using when Joey was trained and more manageable, but she learned how to completely climb out of that! So now we got a metal crate with a top. I of course want to make it a happy place to go and she will go in it and lay down, but the minute I shut the door, she wants out, unless I'm sitting nearby. I've read all the crate training directions, in more than one book (put them in for a period and treat them, increase the time, etc.) but the problem is I have Joey running around freely while she is in the crate and I know this is the problem. My husband thinks I need to get another crate and lock him up as well. He hasn't been in one for 2 months. I can't put them in together because sometimes one gets a little more aggressive than the other and I want to be around to break that up. Any thoughts? By the way, how do you get your dog's picture next to the posting??
joeysowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!