View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #69
kelkiss5
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
I don't think you have to show, but the breeder should still have their dogs evaluated to make sure they are good representations of the breed & are perfectly healthy. A BYB doesn't breed to improve the breed at all - they just breed two dogs together to produce puppies, and they usually don't do any health screening before breeding. The number of dogs and conditions lived in doesn't neccessarily make someone a byb...I've seen byb's that only own one male and one female - they are their family pets - and are just breeding because they want puppies. I've seen byb's that have several dogs kept in kennels...that could almost be considered a puppymill. and I've seen byb's in between those two extremes. I think one of the defining things to me is that a reputable breeder breeds to improve the breed - they strive to breed "show quality" dogs (even if they aren't actually showing), and they health screen their dogs before breeding to the best of their ability. There are other things I'd look for in deciding if a breeder is reputable, but those are just a couple that I feel are important.

Thanks very much for that. I totally agree with all you said. Thanks for taking the time out to explain all that to me. .It has certainly cleared a lot up for me.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!