View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I agree, I would xpen him or gate him in a small area where he can't get into trouble. Make sure he has all the amenities, toys, bed, etc.

In the meantime, I would ignore all the bad behavior. Don't bring them up at all. Carry treats with you at all times. When he does some thing good, immediately say good-boy and treat him. (Clicker training works really good with this). I would definitely keep him tethered to you, to avoid potty mistakes and to keep him off the furniture. This would be temporary, but may last a few months, until he gets the hang of potty training and has learned some manners.

I think I would start training him on the basics, like, sit, down, stay. That way, you can utilize these commands when you are trying to train him on other things, like not run out the door, not terrorize the other animals, etc.

Take him on long walks too, so that he will empty out his bladder and marking in the house will be more controlable.

He may have been de-barked and that is why he only barks in a raspy whispery way. (Poor thing).

Getting him back to health was a great thing you did. And taking him in was even better. So keep up the good work. He is older and will learn quickly what your expectations are. Just be consistent like someone else said.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!