View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
coroth
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default dandruff/itchy skin

That is IT! It looks like it is snowing ALL over the house!!!

Lexie's black hair is one of the reasons I was completely pulled to her. It's BEAUTIFUL and it really separates her from Beau's light gray/blue coat. The only problem is that she looks like I completely neglect her hygiene!!

One of the problems is that she poops in her kennel EVERY time she is in there...which is ALMOST everyday. She is only in there for 30 minutes-1 hour MAXIMUM. So she then has to get a bath EVERY time. This isn't something that I can just get doggy wipes and clean up, it is EVERY WHERE and it is matted into her growing coat.

Secondly, she LOVES to jump in the shower with me. I don't want her to be alone running free in my house while I shower, so I started bringing her into the bathroom with me. She cries and cries and I thought she just wasn't happy being lock in the bathroom with me, then all of a sudden she jumped in the bathtub and will just sit there and look up at me. She LOVES it!!

Long story short, Lexie has dandruff! I don't want to use a dandruff shampoo on her when I bathe her because it has a harsh smell so I can only imagine what it will do to her skin! The dandruff isn't just a few flake either! It is INTENSE! Worse I've ever seen in humans or animals alike. She has been itching it a lot lately too. I had this checked out and it isn't food allergies or any other allergies. The vet checked for mites and fleas and such but nothing turned up.

Facts you may need to know:
-she doesn't get shampooed when she jumps in the shower with me
-when she gets a bath, she has a VERY gentle puppy shampoo with oatmeal
-she has a spray in conditioner (Johnson's baby leave in conditioner)
-she DOES get blow-dried (blow drier is on warm and the medium speed) after her official baths but NOT after she jumps in the shower (she is completely air dry by the time I'm dressed and ready to blow dry her hair; her hair dries fast probably 15-20 minutes. It is very fluffy)
-I had the vet check it out and she said it is probably from the cold, dry air (Average around 10 degrees lately)
coroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!