View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiesgotaluvm View Post
Let me start off by saying, I'm not a breeder, and I don't want to get anything started. But....

What you think is perfect would be different then what I think is perfect, and the next person thinks ect.

IMO, On the standards for the breed, it really only list being under 7 lbs. usually 3-7lbs. There is no height or length standards. Body compact?? head small ect. but no exact measurents other then weight. This could mean a tall skinny dog or a short fatter one. Leaving beauty in the eye of the beholder.

I think dogs that do have any kind of health problems should be excluded from breeding. But the standards aren't really that specific, at least not on a Yorkie. I haven't checked out any other breed standards.

As far as health issues go, sometimes I don't think the breeder can tell until after they have had a litter of puppies, what quality they will be.
Like you said, Just because you put two champion bloodlines together doesn't mean you will automatically get a champion dog. Or one that will have no health issues at all.

But where on any registery can you find out the health of your dogs parents, grandparents, ect. You can't even find out how long they lived. I think, all that should be listed on the registries. How old the Dam and Sire was when they bred, any health issues, ect. Maybe the standards should be raised within the registries? a photo also of the dogs parents, grandparents. But you still are relying on peoples honesty.

It is funny how, almost everyone gets all worked up when you talk about breeding dogs. Doesn't matter if it is a forum board or people you meet. I find Everyone has their own opinion that's part of the human race.

I recently went to a YT meetup. There were around 10-14 Yorkies that were there, and I have to say not one of them looked the same, not hair, height, coloring, ect. But we all loved our Yorkies.

I know there are some people out there to make a quick buck, but I think most people breed because of the love of their breed.

So my question is: What is the perfect representation of the Yorkie? If the registrations don't really explain measurements, other than under 7 pounds.
The rest of the standards are really quite broad in my opionion.
Actually there is a standard for the perfect yorkie and it is set by the YTCA. The standard may seem broad, but those that are very knowledgeable of the breed know what they are looking for. If yorkies were all bred for the right reasons, we'd have a lot more consistency in the way yorkies look. Unfortunately yorkies are being so overbred and most don't even look like a yorkie anymore.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!