View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

No, you're not alone. I can get very worked up about breeding. It is very frustrating seeing so many yorkies bred out of standard and with so many health issues. I've got a pretty narrow view of what a reputable breeder is. Yorkies are being so overbred now that many don't even look like a yorkie anymore... Yorkies are everywhere and puppymills & bybs are cranking them out right and left. It's sad The biggest concern I have are the congenital health problems facing this breed. Just look at our sick forums here and you'll see so many YT babies suffering from Liver shunt (yorkies are 35 times more likely to have LS than all other breeds combined!), Luxating Patella (my baby has this), collapsed trachea, Heart defects, Renal Disease, Diabetes, and other serious issues. I truly wish breeders would health screen their dogs the best they can before breeding to significantly lower the risk of health problems...it may not eliminate health issues completely, but it would help a LOT. I just spent most of my day yesterday with a YT member whose baby was born with and recently diagnosed with Occipital Axial Subluxation. He had surgery for it yesterday and thank God made it through with flying colors! So many "breeders" just don't care...they're doing it for "fun", producing "pets only", doing it to make money, or just don't know any better... And unfortunately there are so many people uneducated to what is and isn't a reputable breeder...they go to petstores and bybs..and the cycle just continues... I just wish more people would educate themselves and really think before they decide to breed their dogs together. There is so much involved...time, money, and a vast amount of knowledge to breed the right way...and most people aren't cut out for it.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!