Thread: New Here :o)
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Gingi
Senior Yorkie Talker

Congrats on your upcoming babies! It's almost like waiting for you own due date!! Just a little about my background as I am not an experienced Yorkie Mom, I got one a couple of weeks ago, but she was sick and I didn't know it. Three days later, she got worse and kept going down hill inspite of every effort from the best vet and she didn't make it. Anyway, although we were devastated, we do want to get another, and in fact, the breeder does have another female that is about 3 weeks that we are going to be able to look at to see if we are interested in from another Mama.

That being said, when I was preparing to bring Maggie, my first yorkie, home, I went shopping crazy. I wanted to do a lot of the basic grooming on my own so I decided to go ahead and get what I need whil I was there. I tried to do a lot of reasearch on the internet and read a lot of stuff on this forum, which is really informative. I went all through it and questions from way back. Anyway, the basics I picked out, which keep in mind it depends on the type things you are going to do yourself, were: nailclippers, styptic powder in case of an oops, a slicker brush, a metal comb, a small flea comb (for around the eyes) a puppy shampoo/conditioner to begin with ( I figure you may have to switch around to find one that best suits your dogs hair), toothpaste and a finger brush, blunt scissors for small trims around pads of feet, ears, etc... nothing major, I am going to have her groomed by the pros, pee pee pads, and NEUTRICAL! I had found out in advance what kind of food they were feeding her and already had that on hand plus of course we had to get some toys. I always new I kept my daughters' baby blankies for some reason! If her onsies were only small enough and I could adjust them to fit a on a puppy!

So, this may give you a few ideas or you may think I've lost it!! Of course, you don't need all of this at first and some you don't need at all if you let a groomer do most of the work. By the way, before I purchased this stuff, the groomer happened to come over to the products isle (I was at petsmart) and helped me pick out certain brands and made sure I had the right type of brush/comb etc. which was very nice and helpful.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!