View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
janet77
Yorkie Talker

Sad Illness Confusion??

Hi Everyone!
I'm still a newbie at Yorkietalk but I was looking for some advice and thought this wonderful group may help.
I have a 4 pound 2 and a half year old male yorkie. And am looking to getr some advice on what has been happening...(sorry it might be long)
Ever since he was small (couple months old) he gets vomiting and diahhrea at least once a month and would go downhill with in a few hours leading to dehydration and sometimes fever. So we would always take him to the vet. And was given Metronidazole everytime. So then the vet diagnosed him with pancreatits,and things still happend at least once a month, we switched vets and they diagnosed him with food allergies, so I changed to Royal Canine for senstive stomaches, while this cut down our vet visits to every 2-3 months now he still gets his "episodes" and kept getting Metronidazole. We switched him to a raw food diet know which he LOVES! And actually eats and gained weight (was very thin) and has only had this episode once in 6 months but, After 2 years of this I need an answer, especially now I read about liver shunts, although the symptoms don't really match??? He only gets random vomiting and diahhrea and never after eating, he sleeps alot but he is home alone during work hours,so don't know.
I recently switched vets again, and now they want to do all these tests because I am concerned about a shunt, but I think they are just doing it for the $$$$, which I'm not a weathly person I will do test that are needed, but if I feel more pressure that concern by the vet, so I don;t really want to do them. And when I asked what can be wrong same story,pancreatits,food allergies,shunts are all possible. Not a straight answer?
My yorkie is also a very shy and timid and stresses out VERY easy and noticed sometimes after a "stress " episode this also happens. So I am confused about what is really going on with him. Wondering if anyone has a yorkie like this,experienced the same thing? Suspect a liver shunt? Is raw food a good idea if he has all these symptoms?
Please let me know what you think or know.
janet77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!