View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Yorkiesgotaluvm
Yorkie Talker

Default feeding 2 dogs question

I have 2 dogs. I have a 13 year old that definelty is dominant at feeding time. In the past, the 13 year would eat, then the younger one (now 2yo) would eat when she finished out of the same bowl even though I put food in two seperate ones.

But, I'm trying to switch them to the NV raw, the older one loves it. Eats it up right away. the younger one, sniffs it and walks away. I try giving her a little piece by hand but she licks it, or sometimes even takes it in her mouth, but usually just drops it and walks away.
I even waited til the older one is done, knowing the order they ate in the past.

So I give the younger one the dry still. But she is now not eating it either,
I can't leave the bowl down like usual because the older dog will eat the raw then go to the other bowl and finish it off if i don't tell her to stop.
I have to watch the older one carefully as she will slip over and eat it as soon as I turn my back. (The older one definetly doesn't need the extra food.)
I even tried putting her food down after the older one is done and then goes outside.
But each time I put the bowl down during the day she won't eat. So we have to play games with the food. We make her do tricks, as if the food is a treat. (She sits, lays down, rolls over, shakes, sneaks, and we make a line to her food bowl with the food, but she stops when she has eaten up to food bowl.
But, I don't want to have to make her do a trick every time she gets a piece of food. I've read about making them work for their food but this is a little ridicules.

Now, I know this only just started happening since the switch about two weeks ago. But is there any suggestions to get her to eat right away? Other than starving her for a couple of days.
I've waited a day, thinking she would be hungry the next morning. but the same thing happens and I end up feeding her one piece at a time by the time the days over.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Yorkiesgotaluvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!