View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiggy View Post
We have never used a crate for Brady. We tried it the first couple of nights and ended up with him sleeping on our bed. Some probably cringe at that but he's quiet and only whines once in the early AM to go out then he goes right back to bed. We tried to get him use to a crate but even when we tried to sit in the room with him and put him in there for short periods of time you would think that we was dying. We are still trying to work on having Brady feel comfortable in a crate but it's at random times so I don't think he associates the come command with crating.

He is extremely smart. He has already learned to ring a bell to go outside (something our six year old Aussie still can't grasp) and Brady recognizes words when we tell him to go fetch his ball, bear or leash. He rarely comes back without the correct item.

I will have to give him is favorite little treats only when I tell him to come and his approaches all the way.
My trainer told me to use a special treat only for come. One lady in class chose Cheetos, but it worked! Also, someone suggested that "come" is only over when your hand is on their collar. That's for safety reasons. Make sure you also practice come outside, and don't use "come" when you want to give him a bath or anything like that. I ruined the word "come" like this and now if my dogs are outside I have to yell "CHICKEN" to get them to run right back to the porch (They are leashed on flexi's to potty - no fence)

It sounds like you are doing fine! He's only 4 months old
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!