View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
gardenyorkies
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Here is the schedule I use for feeding an orphan puppy or supplementing a puppy!..I hope this helps you out!...Very nice of you to help out!

~Laura

Weight of pup..... amt to feed per feeding.............feed every
--------------------------------------------------------------------

3-7 oz pup.........1cc per oz of wt......................... 3 hours
8 oz pup............12 cc........................................ 4 hours
10 oz pup...........15cc................................ .........4 hours
12oz..................18cc........................ .................5 hours
14 oz.................21cc........................... ..............5hours
16oz..................24cc........................ .................5hours
20oz..................30cc or (1oz).............................5hours
24 oz.................36cc. or (1 1/3oz).......................5hours
28oz...................52cc or (1 3/4oz).......................6hours
32oz...................60cc or (2 oz.)...........................6hours
36oz...................68cc or (2 1/4oz)........................6hours
40 oz..................75cc or (2 1/2oz)........................6hours
48 oz..................90cc or (3 oz)............................6 hours

You must weigh your puppies! Use a good scale that measures ounces like a postal scale or baby scale. I find the digital scales to work nicely...

In the first 24 hours your pups should either gain a little or stay close to body weight. Each day your pups should show a slow weight gain of 1/2 to 1 oz. If a pup is not gaining within these guidelines then you need to decide to supplement, say morning and evening feedings for a day or two until it gains according to schedule. If they are still lagging behind then step it up to with a third feeding...

The goal is for the puppy to feed from its mother to stimulate milk production ,then be able to eliminate the supplemental feedings. However a smaller or weak puppy or a larger than average litter will likely require supplementing to catch up. Occasionally you may need to step in and feed full time. Mothers milk should be checked to make sure there are no infections causing the problems.

Caution: DON'T FEED A CHILLED PUPPY!!!!!!
You must warm a puppy back to normal, I stick them down in my shirt so they warm gradually...You can also put warmed towels from your dryer in the whelping box to help keep them warm and prehaps give it some warmed fluids (pedialyte or water with a tiny bit of karo syrup) by mouth. A chilled puppy will not feed well or digest well.

I use the Playtex nursers with a slow flow nipple or a premie nipple. I have found these to work perfectly. It looks rather large for a puppies mouth but remember they have to wrap their tongues around that nipple to get the milk...It takes a little coaxing but it will work! Don't forget to potty puppies before and after each feeding and to burp them half way through feeding!
gardenyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!