Thread: steroids
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Flakes
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorx
Hello , this is my first post and I would like to ask a question. My yorkie started limping about a month ago and I thought he had torn his cruciate ligament, but the vet determined that wasn't the case. The vet said he had really bad arthritis in both knees(my little muffin is 11), and gave me some Rimidyl and told me to keep him still for a week (yeah right!) so his leg would heal.After a week he was still limping or holding his leg sso the vet tried Deramaxx(another similar anti- inflammatory). This also did not help so when I went back to the vet , they gave me some steroids to put him on for a few weeks.I'm starting him on this tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with giving their doggy steroids and if this is ok and what side effects to expect.I'm just a little worried because I've seen people on steroids and it always seems to have bad side effects.Thank you and sorry such a long post.
My 11 year old Yorkie has been on Prednisone for many years now. There are side effects. Excessive thirst is the primary one, this means she'll have to go out more. Bloating and increased appetite are others. Over a long term they can develop cysts and tumors. My gal has developed several cysts. Hair loss is another.
Flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!