View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #69
EvaNguyenberg
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default 16lb Yorkie from Chaffin

I worked at Petsmart helping people buy dog food and selling training classes. I also knew a lot of training tips for Yorkies because apparently, this is the hardest breed to potty train.

I got my puppy Peter from Chaffin. At 5 months he was 2.5lbs, and although I didn't care about his size I was extra thrilled to see that he was small. I paid $500 + $200 for his transportation.

Peter arrived de-wormed, but skin and fur was VERY dry and he had an ear infection. I found out that they had been feeding him Eukanuba. Any good breeder will know to give the pups the best dog food. Eukanuba is NOT. Just because there's a picture of your dog's breed on the bag doesn't mean that it's the best food for your dog. As someone who has worked with dog trainers, vets, and dog nutritionists, I know. Eukanuba is better than Puppy chow and the commercial brands, but the general rule is--if they're advertising on TV, they're not the best product. It'd be better that they put their advertising money into the ingredients and the quality of the food and rely on word of mouth. Also, AKC endorses Eukanuba and gives breeders special deals on food if they agree to feed their pups the food and get future pet parents to continue feeding Eukanuba to their pets. After all, you always assume that the breeders know better than you do what to feed the, right? WRONG.

Peter's skin was horribly dry and his fur felt like straw--we had to shave it. It was horrible. I had to put him on this fish oil stuff that made him smell like fish because he'd sweat it out. After switching him to Blue Buffalo, the problem went away. (You can also try Nutro ULTRA, that stuff is also fantastic. But Blue Buffalo is better.)

Chaffin was good during the transaction, but was angry that I switched Peter's food after I suggested that his skin was dry. Whatever.

One of the very hyper dogs in one of the training classes was a 16 lb female yorkie. I kid you not. SIXTEEN POUND FEMALE YORKIE. I found out that THIS 8 month beauty ALSO came from a Chaffin kennel. She was WAY hyper and did not have the demeanor that well-bred yorkies are supposed to have. She costed her owner HUNDREDS of dollars for training classes.

Now, if you try going to www.yorkiebabypup.com no website pops up. Hopefully her operation was shut down, and she didn't open a new website.
EvaNguyenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!