View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
hha
No Longer a Member

Housebreaking is possible, but will take an enormous amount of work to break his old habits and to re-build new ones. If you want a guarantee that he will never have potty issues in the future, he will need to be trained to go outside. I think that if you are considering training him to go in the house on pads, you are never going to have a 100% housebroken dog.
First off, this isn't true...I have a shih tzu that has been going on papers for 10 years(100% housebroken)...Mine have all been using piddle pads now, and they housebreak very easily..my sister on the other hand, has 5 that go outside, and they still use the inside of the house..so, I think either way you do it, consistency is going to be the key factor. If you're home all the time and want to be on a schedule taking them out, etc. then that's fine..with me, I like to be able to go and do as I want, and not have to worry about a schedule(although, for the most part, I'm home all the time)..What I suggest is to give it a shot..buy an xpen, and put the food, water, toys, beds and if you're going to pee pad train, a pee pad at the other end..for barking, our obedience trainer we had for our 2 outside dogs said a little vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray them in the face as you tell them NO Bark..you can also use a can with pennies in it and shake it when he's barking and also tell him NO BARK..some people can't housebreak a dog, because they have no patience! A puppy takes a lot of patience, love and a good schedule. good luck, and if you get him, post some pictures..
hha is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!