View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki12004 View Post
Thanks for your reply's so far..... I have a crate and an x-pen. I also have a fenced yard. I also have a belly band that would fit him. (My sister has done rescue in the past). I think I like the crate idea, for while I am at work. Should I keep him confined, ie: gated in the kitchen when we are home, or can he wear the belly band, or does that just get them use to going in that? Also I would be training him to go outside. I was thinking of putting a bell by the door, I would like to teach him how to use it, when he needs to go out. Any other suggestions or thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

My son's school is closed today due to a water main break. Which is the same school I work at. So we are both off today. I would like to go pick up the little guy in the morning, so we can see how things go.
I think if you want a well adjusted little dog and you work all day, you should only confine the dog in one room, if you are going to be in it. Don't confine him if you are going into other rooms to watch t.v. or do other stuff. He needs to be with you, you just need to be able to watch him with an eagle eye to avoid potty mistakes, that's why you want to confine him in the room you are in. You can accomplish this by gating door ways, or closing doors or keep him tethered to you so he can walk where you go.

Ringing the bell to go out is good, but you must understand he may ring the bell to go out, but not to go out to go potty, until you have trained him that going potty in the house is not acceptable and going potty outside is the only allowable place to go. This will take time, a lot of patience and consistency before he gets that concept.

Belly bands are ok, but it will not train him to go outside or not to go in the house. It will just keep your floors and furniture safe. Belly bands are not to be substituted for due diligence and training. My only concern is that belly bands may make you more comfortable and you will become lax in the training, especially after a few months have gone by and you are just plain tired!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!