Thread: help!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #9
girltime
Senior Yorkie Talker

Welcome to YT.

Wow, Cody is going to rock your world. This is a wonderful breed, and yes I would say the highest maintenance. Cody will also give you so much love in return. Small package with a big personality. ;-)

Rocky was my first yorkie and he rocked my world. I'll try and make this as brief as possible of the key items needed.

- Good Yorkie Book on the breed and caring for one
- Bring home the blanket or toy he's had with him
- Appt with your vet the day you pick him up (appropriate tests done)
- Microchip him ASAP, tags,and buy a harness & leash
- Plan to gradually move him to a high premium dog food
- Kennel/crate (must be cozy for him)
- XPEN and or baby gates (short term play area...can be laundry room)
- Pee Pads w/waterproof backing

Best advice my breeder gave me was to keep his area small, and then gradually increase his space. The laundry room is where I have a good size kennel for my two yorkies, large pee pad and their food/water. I have a baby gate in the door way.

When Rocky was a puppy, even though he was crate trained there would be lots of accidents. These were mostly my fault for not seeing the signs. From my experience, in the beginning always take him outside or place him on the pee pad after eating, drinking, playing, etc. Get him use to that ASAP. When you see the signs, take him out or to the pee pad right away....Praise him and give him lots of love when he relieves himself.

I have two children and two yorkies. Yes, I can say yorkie puppies are way more work than a newborn baby. Last, but not least, decide who is going to take what shift.....These puppies normally cannot make it through the night without a potty break. In the beginning his crate will need to be within ear shot of someone who will hear him whimpering to be let out at 1:00 AM, 3:00A.M.

Congrat on becoming a yorkie mommy.
girltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!