View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
splannon
Yorkie Talker

Default Potty Training Questions...Please help!

Hi there! I have a few questions that some of you can hopefully help me out with. I have an almost 9 week old baby who I am trying to potty train. I keep him in the bathroom during the day while I’m at work and at night; where he has many toys, food, water, bed and crate (that I leave open for him). He uses the bathroom on the tile (which I will get puppy pads tonight for that). I'm afraid he is getting used to going where ever by now. So I am thinking about keeping him inside the crate all day so that potty training will come easier to him. I have not decided whether I would like to use puppy pads all the time just yet. I would definitely rather go the fully trained route (outside) if possible. I have potty trained two labs before and basically know how to do it although it is much easier with that breed. I am just a little confused with this breed as I am a first time Yorkie mommy. Just a few questions…

Is he too young to start potty training?

Should I keep him locked in his kennel all day while I’m at work and at night as well? I feel guilty doing this. If so, how big should the crate be?

When I take him outside to go potty he won’t go, but comes right back in to go on the carpet, then I am back outside again with him not going potty. What should I do about that?

I have read bits and pieces of people using a “bell” for good behavior? How does that work for you? Do I just buy a traditional bell?

I have bought a few different kinds of treats that will be easy for him to eat (since his teeth are not fully grown in). He does not like any of them. What are some brands you use that your puppy enjoys?

Last night I disciplined him and felt really bad afterward b/c he seemed really sad. Should I ever discipline him? If so, how?

What are some ways that you potty trained your own puppy?

Any tips will be very helpful I’m sure! Thank you so much for your time and advice! You guys are great!

-Shannon and Diggy

Last edited by splannon; 01-08-2008 at 10:35 AM.
splannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!