Thread: What To Expect?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Beabble
YT 2000 Club Member

Default What To Expect?

As some of you know, I'm new here and just thought you might be able to give me some input on what to expect when Maggy has her vaccinations. With how bad sick she was and fighting to get over the tough stuff, the doc and I both decided it would be best to hold off on her shots until her immune system has a chance to build itself back up. I've never had a small breed dog before but since we've had Maggy in our lives, I've done A LOT of reading on Chihuahuas and Yorkies and I've read that a lot have reactions to the vaccinations. Has many of your furkids had any reactions to them? We've got 3 other dogs, 2 boxers and a German shorthaired pointer and only one of ours had a reaction and it was to the lepto. When I took Maggy in for her check up the other day, I asked him if he gives the modified live virus or the killed virus and he said the modified live virus. Is this something I should opt against? Should I request the killed vaccine? I'm so scared to death for Maggy to get her shots after all she's been through and all I've read that can happen. I do have her schedualed for a Monday morning brihgt and early though, that way if she has ANY reaction, the vet is in and I can rush her right into him. Are you all really over protective of your lil ones as well? I just look into her beautiful face and I think, oh God, help me make the right choices for her, please don't let me make the wrong one that will hurt her and take her away from us. She depends on us to make the right choices for her. I had also read that when vaccines are given, they give the same dosage to our lil ones as they give to a 90 pound dog, should that much REALLY be given? Maggy's only 1 pound 8 ounces right now. Her appointment is for February 4th, I'm sure she'll have gained a few more ounces by then, but she'll still be so teeny tiny. I'm SUCH a worry wart when it comes to our kids, (skin, fur, shell and scale.)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!