View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
bld2751
YT 500 Club Member

Clioe - just remember that your baby is still very young.

One of the things that I would not do is put her in the crate as punishment. You should try to make the crate a positive thing, not negative. By putting her in it when she's done something bad, it will make her hate it, which is definitely not good.

When you do take her out of the crate though, you should immediately take her to where you want her to eliminate. Also after you play with her, take her to the elimination place. While she's still so young, you should take her there a lot. I mean a lot. Maybe every 15 minutes while she's up. It might seem excessive, but until you catch onto her routine and her signs that she needs to go, you need to be extra cautious.

As for punishment, you really shouldn't punish her. Instead, praise her a lot when she does go where she's supposed to. Give her a treat if you want. If you do catch her in the act of going, give her a firm NO and then take her to the proper place.

My little guy is 5 1/2 months, and these are the things I did. It's tough, but it will get easier. The way I see it is that if Hercules has an accident, it's really my fault. I wasn't paying attention to how long it had been since he had been out last, or something like that.

Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!