View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
CC's
YT Addict

I respect your thoughts but also think if you just read the AR sites, DDAL, PETA and even AKC your only getting part of the story. All opinions are able to be shared I think.

Sorry if you feel I worry only about how this will effect me. This is not the case at all. In fact I am one of the few breeders it will not effect. I don't breed enough, import dogs, co own, or have "other" animals.

I just would like people to read all sides and the Bill itself to be fully informed.
Most all dog clubs are against this Bill as it is written.

If you read the bill it doesn't have anything in it to cover care or treatment of animals. No rule to keep rescue from falling under the guidelines of "dealer". It doesn't stop you from having 500 breeding dogs to sell to pet stores. It's a licensing bill.

Here is a couple possible things that could happen with the way this bill is written.

A show breeder who has 1 male and 1 female and breeds 1 litter a year to show loses their dam to an accident. Wanting to keep the same bloodlines, that happen to be Canadian the breeder ships in a CH female. Opps, she imported a breeding dog and now must be USDA licensed. That means her breeding dogs must be kept like livestock. Now will she do this or just stop breeding?

A breeder who shows and has 2-3 litters a year, does all her testing and has wonderful dogs is also active in 4H with her children.
They sell a CH goat for $501.00. Now she will have to get a USDA license?

A breeder who has 200 males and 200 females who sells to pet stores and never pays any mind to standards or health has 200 litters a year. They are already USDA licensed. (most puppymills are already USDA breeders) No change for them at all.............

There are just to many things wrong in this bill. It will not effect USDA breeders at all. If they are worried about all the importing of dogs, and selling straight to the public by high volume breeders they should address that and not leave it open to what can happen the way it is now. AKC says USDA will have to change rules for "in home" hobby breeders. Just because they think they should doesn't mean they will.
CC's is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!