View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
Jaya and Jenna
YT 500 Club Member

Default Jaya loves new pup more than us! :(

Hi Everyone. My name is Pam and i'm new to this site!

We have a 6 month old yorkie (Jaya) who we have had for four months now. We just introduced another yorkie (Jenna) who is 11 weeks old now.

It feels as though we have lost Jaya to the new puppy, which is very.... sad because I miss her! I don't know if I'm overreacting, or the introduction of Jenna just happened to fall during Jaya's maturing, or not....... but the thing is, from the very first night Jenna came to live with us, Jaya changed over night. Jaya has become reserved...and much more "mature"..almost mother-like to the new pup...and she no longer plays with us. Now she still gets excited when we come into the room...... but she no longer plays with us, or nibbles on our slippers or the hem of our jeans or any of her usual play... It all stopped when Jenna came to live with us, and it feels as though we have lost Jaya to the new pup.

Now, she loves the new puppy...they play a lot...and fight a lot as well as she is still adjusting to sharing her things with Jenna and asserting dominance (she does get jealous... if the new pup comes near us, she'll growl and shove her away from us). And sometimes Jaya will be gazing at me or my husband ...with sadness? I don't know if I am over analyzing or what, but she has such soul in her eyes, and when she just sits there gazing at us, i sometimes wonder if she's upset with us for bringing the new puppy into the home. Yet that contradicts her behaviour because if i seperate the two of them, she gets very upset and instead of playing with us, she will be wandering around the room looking for Jenna. She acts like a mom to the new pup.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Jaya is just like our child, and we brought in the new pup so Jaya would have a playmate during the times we couldnt be with her to play, but its like she's totally forgotten about us. Do I just need to get over this? I just feel really sad because I miss the bond we had with Jaya before Jenna came! And I wonder if it was even worth it to get the new pup.

What are your feelings in regards to this?
Jaya and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!