Thread: Debarking??
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
txshopper73
Donating YT 14K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan121s View Post
I dont' really know what to think about the practice. It seems that barking is part of a dogs nature and to take that away with such a procedure is wrong. On the other hand, I know several people (members of this site even) that I have alot of respect for that have had this done on occasion and I understand their reasoning behind it.

I guess my issue is, people shouldn't have it done as a quick fix to a problem that they just don't want to be bothered to address. I have never personally had a dog that I couldn't break from the habit of just barking constantly, but I imagine it does happen and when and if it happens to me (knock on wood, it won't) I might feel differently then.
I agree with Bama. I have heard of people debarking their dog...heck the poodle that lives behind us has been debarked. We have one vet here that does this procedure. It's done with a laser and during the healing period, you have to try to not allow your animal to bark or else it can make the original bark worse.

Dogs are still able to bark...just more muted and they can eat the same day as the surgery.

I'm not for it or against it...just if someone is considering it, they need to read up on it and find the best vet to perform the surgery. IMO
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!