View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I think the reason you are having such a hard time is because there are so many different opinions (they are opinions because there is very little scientific evidence for any of it...especially doing them every year). The generally accepted thing to do now (for Yorkies in particular) is puppy vaccines, one year booster and then every three years after that for DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parvo, parainfluenza) and Rabies (depending on the state). Some vets aren't comfortable giving it only every three years and insist on DHPP annually. Ellie's vet will go every three years but she is more comfortable if we do titers to make sure. Ellie was low on distemper this time and we gave her just that not in the combo. Other people will tell you that titers aren't necessary... You won't get one good answer.

I don't give bordatella (kennel cough) at all. I think the risk outways the benefits when you are talking about giving it once or twice a year. Then again, your dog has a higher chance of getting pneumonia without it and people won't usually accept your dog to board/groom without it. Ellie's vet won't hospitalize without it but since Ellie is so sensitive to vaccines we are an exception.

Leptosporosis (the "L" in DHLPP/) is very dangerous for Yorkies. It should only be given where lepto is a severe problem in that area. Even then I don't think I'd do it.

Coronavirus (the "C" in DHLPP-C) is a totally unnecessary vaccine and should be avoided.

Giardia and Lyme's is optional and only used if your dog is at high risk.

Puppy shots are given three to four times. I prefer starting at 8 weeks and doing them 3 times every 4 weeks. That would be at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Some vets will start at 6 weeks (I think it's too young for small breeds) and some give four sets (which is too many I think, especially if you start when they are atleast 8 weeks).

Some breeders do say wait a year to do rabies but others say 6 months. I would go with 6 months otherwise your dog is stuck home. In some states the law says your dog has to have it by 4 months and in that case I would not give it that early. The rabies is then given one year later (by law) and either every one, two or three years depending on your state.

This is what I would do and it doesn't mean it's the only right answer:
Rabies: Go with the law but don't start til atleast 6 months.
Bordatella: You will probably have to (even some vets insist on this for hospital stays). It has to be given 1-2 times yearly depending on your groomer's and vet's requirements and how often your dogs are exposed to other dogs.
Leptosporosis: No, if at all possible to avoid.
Coronavirus: No
Giardia: No but depends on the area.
Lyme's: No but depends on the area.
DHPP: This one is tricky. I would do puppy shots followed by a one year booster. You can then decide if you want to do titers every year and skip vaccinating unless necessary (Dr. Jean Dodds recommendation). You could just do the vaccine annually (which is too much). Or, you could do it every three years or whatever you and your vet decide.

Last edited by Ellie May; 12-28-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!