View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
TurtleDove
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I had a nutritionist make a recipe for Ellie. She gets just about all her nutrients in supplement form. I cook up her meals and freeze in daily portions. I take one bag out a day and thaw. Then I add her supplements for the day and feed her three times. The recipe I have here is 24% protein dry matter and some people prefer more than that, so it might not help you. I also use a supplement that you have to get through a nutritionist or vet. It is an all-in-one.

Here is the recipe:
23 grams or about an ounce of white meat, skinless chicken
88 grams carbs (I use brown rice)
60 grams mixed veggies)
1 tsp. oil (I use canola or olive)
Supplements

This recipe was formulated for a 5 1/2 pound dog who needs about 182 calories daily post-spay.

You can mix it up however you want. You don't have to use chicken or rice. Noodles or barley or... could be used for the carb (or no carb at all). You can use turkey, beef, lamb... for the meat.

I think it is important to figure out how many calories your dog should have a day and feed that much. It is easy to not feed enough homecooked after feeding kibble because homecooked requires you feed a highter volume of food. That is one of the reasons why I feed three times a day.
Thanks! I have some more reading around to do before I commit to home cooking.
TurtleDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!