View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Lovin' Gracie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunasMomma View Post
I'm sorry that your baby got hurt The only advice that I have would be to keep her quiet and if possible, confined to a small area so that she's not moving about too much. When you take her out for potty, keep her on a leash and don't let her walk too much.

Maybe with complete rest, she'll be able to heal on her own, though I have no experience with this type of injury. Please keep us posted.

Gracie partially ruptured the ACL in her right hind leg 2 years ago--jumping off the back of the sofa. Our vet referred her to a speciality clinic here in suburban DC, and we saw a veternary orthopedic surgeon. She concurred in the diagnosis but stated that since Gracie was so small, sometimes surgery does just as much harm as scar tissue will form from the surgery and make the joint much less flexible. She suggested giving her glucosamine, an anti-inflammatory, and keeping her quiet (no stairs, no jumping on furniture--confined to one floor) for a couple weeks. The leg did heal just fine and it's great now, but we've kept her on a maintenance dose of glucosamine ever since (she took twice as much to begin with). I think it was about 6-8 weeks before I noticed a big difference but from then on she got progressively better very quickly. Now you can't even tell it was ever injured.
Lovin' Gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!