View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
RowdysMom
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Puppies are a LOT of work! I'm not sure how old your is, but if he/she is only 4-5 months, then peeing and pooping and running are completely normal.

We rarely left our boys when they were little, there was always someone with them. We took them out to potty every 30 minutes or so and they still had some accidents. When you take him/her out, and he/she "goes" make a BIG deal out of it. If he/she likes treats, give him/her a treat every time he/she potties outside. Or if not a treat eater (like my oldest), then give lots of praise and attention.

Eventually, with the first one we got a doggie door, and he learned very quickly to go out to potty by himself. The second was was even easier because he had a role model.

Now, let me be clear though. Our first boy is not neutered and he does mark in the house. All our floors are hard wood or concrete and yes, I do have to clean up his "sprinkles". But he is only 4 lbs and does not sprinkle much. But it will always be something that he does. I don't like it, but I love him, and that's just the way it is. Our other boy is neutered and he never goes in the house. If your puppy is a boy, you can use a belly band so that he pees in the belly band, rather than in your house.

When they were little and we had to leave them, we put them in an X-pen, rather than a crate. The first one slept in a crate for the first few weeks, but then we let him sleep with us. The second one slept with us from day one. Neither has ever pottied in the bed - threw up on the bed, yes, but no potty.

Yorkies, or any puppy for that matter, is a lot of hard work in the first few months. If you are not prepared, it can be a challenge.

Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!