Thread: Runt
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
tiggerr36792
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylady View Post
So, to that theory...up to what point does that apply? Are we talking early on they will catch up or surpass the others? Lexie's pups are just about 10 weeks old and we still have one that is definitely much smaller than the others. I have never really referred to her as the runt; I just assume she is built/will take after her 4 pound daddy rather than her bigger sized mama. And the others, the other way around. Guess my definition of a runt would be the smallest of a litter where the weights of the parents or even the breed were more even or typical.
I just find size and weights are always difficult to determine, but growth spurts do change early on. Until they get closer to 8 to 12 weeks of age its difficult to determine adulthood sizes and even then its such an estimate. I'd say at 10 weeks old if she is much smaller then the other ones chances are she will be stay pretty small thru adulthood. I've been told the size of the smaller ones depends on if they were preemies or just born tiny. I was told preemies can catch up to their siblings and grow to be a normal adult size rather then stay tiny if you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm sure there are others here who are more knowledgable then I am and can offer more insight on this subject. I'm always learning new things everyday here.
tiggerr36792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!