View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
mogli
Senior Yorkie Talker

Very sorry to hear about Sailor!

In March, our mixed-breed dog named Sissy Dog was out playing in the backyard with my wife. Let out a yip.

Over the next 3 hours it got progressively worse. We took her to the ER and they gave her steroids and medicines ... they called us in the morning and said she was doing worse, and to take her to University of Florida Vet school in Gainesville.

At this point she had no control from her last rib down. No continence ... and she was in pain.

We took her in, they said she had a pinched nerve / ruptured disk. Emergency back surgery to aleviate the pressure.

I won't lie. The whole ordeal cost over $5000. But she's one of our babies.

She came home with staples in her back ... from neck to tail. We kept her in a baby crib so she couldn't move. We sent her home to Grandpa (retired) to watch for a week or so.

She started moving her legs slowly but surely. About 3 weeks later she started walking again.

She hobbles a little sometimes ... but she is in no pain, and has made a 90% recovery. I was hoping she'd be a little slower, she always gets to the ball first, but she's fast as ever.

There is always hope. I'd recommend a second opinion to get her back scanned and see if there's anything they can do.

As you surely have been ... give her all the love and attention you can and make sure she's comfortable.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!