View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
jamiesaari
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Why are the fees of rescue organizations so much higher than Humane Society fees?

My Tika was very, very sick when the Thief River Falls Humane Society seized her from a neglectful home. She had to undergo a series of very aggressive treatments to get rid of her horrible infestation of fleas. Not only did the Humane Society treat her for fleas numerous times, but they gave her all her shots, had her microchipped and adopted her to me for a nominal fee/donation of $60 U.S.

They were selective in that they turned down a couple other applicants before adopting her to me. Tika is young (4 years old), absolutely adorable and a complete joy. See photograph below.

After having such an positive, inexpensive experience adopting Tika from a Humane Society, I don't understand how certain rescue organizations can survive by:

a) Refusing to adopt any of their rescue Yorkies to families with children

b) Charging high adoption fees for older dogs that often require ongoing medical attention and require extra attention/love/work because of previous abuse and neglect. How can a Humane Society offer this service for $60 and a rescue group charge between $400 and $800 for a similar dog? (This is the approximate price range I have gathered from my research in reviewing rescue dogs in the same age and health range as my Tika.) I understand that there are vet costs associated with rescued dogs, but why such a huge difference in pricing?

c) Charging adoption fees for rescue dogs that are comparable to the cost of buying a new Yorkshire Terrier puppy (which is what many families prefer). I got this information by reviewing online classified ads for Yorkshire Terrier puppies.

I absolutely respect and admire what rescue organizations do and want to make that clear.

However I have to wonder if keeping a rescued dog in a foster home for an extended period of time (allowing the dog to get attached to the people and animals in the home) is better for the dog than going directly into a home with responsible owners (who have children) at a lower adoption fee. I would think the quicker the dog could be placed with a permanent home, the better off the dog would be. As well, expensive adoption fees for older dogs also lessens the chances they'll be adopted.

Below is a cut and paste of a form rejection letter I received. My commentary is written in blue.

Your application to adopt has been reviewed by the Chris' Rescue Angels staff. Unfortunately, we are unable to approve an adoption at this time.

Many factors can be involved in the decision to place a dog in a specific home, including:

- The temperament of the dog, such as shy, not good with children, excessively fearful, potentially aggressive, etc. Understandable, but the organization has numerous rescue dogs available and I find it hard to believe every single Yorkie they have would be bad with chidren. This is the only response in this letter that I could have been rejected for. I am able to offer everything else they require.

- The health of the dog and/or the ability of an applicant to absorb unanticipated expenses for medical needs beyond basic veterinary care. (Some of our dogs require more health care than your typical pet.) This is taken care of as I am able to provide unlimited veterinary care - which I mentioned in the application form.

- The understanding of a dogs' needs by the applicant. I have experience in adopting two rescued Yorkies, have done a lot of research and am open to learning more.

- The ability to provide an appropriate, secure outdoor area. I own a house with a fenced back yard.

- The number of dogs or other pets currently living in a household. I have one rescued Yorkie ... that's all.

- The need for more supervision/interaction than an applicant's lifestyle allows, for optimal rehabilitation and socialization. I work from home during the day and any pets would rarely be left alone.

- Having an unaltered dog in your home. My Tika is spayed and I have no interest in breeding.

- Other needs which are specific to the individual dog.

Your desire to provide a home for a rescue dog is admirable. There are many rescue organizations and shelters, both local and nationwide, each with its own criteria for adoption. Almost all of the major breeds also have rescues. You may be able to find a better "fit" for your situation with another group.

Thank you for applying to adopt, we wish you success in your pursuit of the right rescue dog for your environment and lifestyle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tika 8.jpg (156.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Tika 7.jpg (153.1 KB, 11 views)
jamiesaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!