View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

The bile acid test will be next. That is pretty simple. It cost me $77 for the test and $28 to board Ellie at the hospital for the two hours in between and $1.31 for the food. Maybe you can take her home in between to avoid the hospital fee. That is what I am doing next time.

If the bile acid numbers are low I have no idea what will be next. If they are high you would go to either ultrasound, scintography or portogram. A liver biopsy may have to be done if MVD is suspected. They might also do a Protein C test (blood test) and maybe avoid some of the more invasive stuff if MVD is suspected. Liver shunts in Yorkies are usually extrahepatic (outside the liver) and surgery needs to be attempted. University of Tennessee has a great success rate. If your baby is diagnosed with MVD (small shunting throughout the liver) there is no cure. It is managed through diet and supplements.

By the way, Ellie had a liver biopsy and it was $255. This was really cheap and didn't include the price of anesthesia or preop bloodwork because she was already under for her spay.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!