View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
Mom2BabyNatalie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218 View Post
This is sooo scary!!! You just really do NOT know what is best for them...I mean, you don't want them to get heartworms or parvo and die...so you vaccinate........BUT then again...........look at all the harm the vaccines can cause too!!! (((AURGH))) There shouldn't be this doubt!

In our homeschool loop, there was this same topic but regarding vaccines for our human babies. It is really scary!!!!
It's a scary thing for both furkids and skin!!! I am a mother of five and after following all the pediatritian's guidelines for childhood vaccinations - and watching 3 of my 5 children suffer from vaccine related illnesses (my son, life-flighted and hospitalized with RSV at 6 weeks of age, 2 days following first vaccination... my oldest daughter, spinal tap and hospitalization for meningitis at 7 weeks old AND again at 4 months old - both times within days of receiving her vaccinations..... my middle daughter, hospitalized with kidney problems at 12 months old, a mere HOURS following her check up and vaccinations....)
Well, when I found out I was pregnant with the 4th, I decided then and there that we would NOT vaccinate them.... the same with the 5th.....
Today they are 10 and 12 years old... have never had childhood vaccinations... (we do tetnus shots and I'm considering gardisil for my daughter, but that's it) - - and neither of them has ever been sick with anything more than a cold their entire lives.
It's a controversial topic - - and lots of folks don't agree.... but it was a personal decision we made, and have stood by... and I feel they are healthier because of it.

I know this is a bit off topic, but just some info....

As for pups, though.... the diseases we're vaccinating for are so prevalant that we're pretty much "damned if you do, damned if you don't".... you vaccinate and your pup ends up actually contracting the very disease we're trying to prevent.... or, you don't vaccinate for fear of risks and side effects, and the pup contracts the disease anyway because these different strains and overwhelming numbers of carriers is so overwhelming!! It's often a losing battle no matter what we decide!

I think the biggest "trigger" for the nationwide spread of puppyhood diseases are these puppy mills who continuously vaccinate UNHEALTY and WEAK puppies to begin with..... no, they don't have the disease to begin with, but poor conditions and poor nutrition, leaves them with weak immune systems.... they vaccinate because they are required to do so in order to sell their pups, and the pups are in such poor condition at the time of the vaccination, they are unable to withstand being vaccinated with a live virus.... they're shipped out and 10 days later, are found suffering or dying with the very disease the vaccinations are intended to prevent!

By that time, dozens, maybe hundreds of other animals, people and surroundings have been exposed..... continuing the spread of disease...

I agree too, that the dosage amount should differ according to the weight of each animal... and don't quite understand the reasoning behind that..... will have to do more reading I guess......

Just my 2 cents..... sorry to ramble!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!