View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
fur lulu
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default allergies

My yorkie has been suffering from severe allergies for the last year. Constant licking and biting her entire body. She also has cronic ear infections which is tied into the allergies. I have tried everything. I finally resorted to taking her do an allergist. She was diagnosed with a yeast infection and I was told that she showed signs of inhalent allergies. (pink skin around the eyes, pink skin under both armpits that is sometimes scabby, constant licking or biting at feet or body). The doctor was 99% sure they were inhalent allergies, but had me put her on a strict diet to rule out food allergies. I was almost positive it wasn't food because I have followed a strict raw food diet for the last year, only feeding her raw rabbit or venison along with fruits and vegetables. According to the doctor this diet was the best when trying to rule out food allergies. The doctor said absolutely no chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, soy, dairy, corn or wheat because these foods are the most common causes of food allergies. Well, since I have never given my dog these things I was sure it wasn't food, but I followed the doctors recommendations and the itching did not stop. We are now at the point where they want to do allergy testing followed up with weekly allergy shots. I am looking into alternative medicine at this point. I had some luck with Dr. Ackermans allergy relief formula. It is a powder that you sprinkle on the food. It worked for a week, but the itching came back. You might have some luck with it. I ordered it online. The doctor also recommended Malaseb shampoo (which is medicated). The more baths you can give your dog the better. I give Lulu 3 baths a week with this stuff and her itching is getting more managable. The doctor also recommended Gold Bond Powder. When the hair is dry I massage this into the skin wherever it is red. This has also helped make her discomfort more managable. Finally, the docor has given me several antihistamines to try. Some work better than others, but you should talk to yor veternarian about this. Certain brands contain ingredients that can be harmful to your dog. I do not recommedn Prednisone. It is a very strong steriod. My baby was on it for a week and although her itching completly went away, she became incontinent and I immediately took her off of the meds. These are the things I have tried, hopefully they might bring your baby some relief. If your dog does have allergies you should hope that they are food related because they are much easier to get rid of once the diet is changed. Good Luck.
fur lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!