View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
LIL MIS' MAGIC
Yorkie Lover
Donating Member

Confused Sailor's Back Problems

I took Sailor Bear to the vet this morning after a long scary day yesterday...yesterday morning she was fine, she played outside since it was finally warm and dry enough for the puppies to go out. We took her for a walk in the afternoon, to enjoy the pretty day...well a couple of hours later my dad notice she was limping a little bit. We didn't think to much of it, since we now that she has knee pain sometimes. But later on in the afternoon, she suddenly stopped walking at all. She would stand up but would fall back down or stuble around. We couldn't tell if it was her back legs or her front legs as she could barely hold herself up. Immediately I gave her a Medrol pill, as I know this is for inflamation and could help relieve some pain for her. We put her in a crate and gave her lots of TLC. A couple of hours later she was barely able to hold herself up and was putting all her body weight on her front legs and was standing on the tips of her back legs with hardly any weight at all. We knew something was defintely wrong...but wanted our regular vet to see her so we held her for the rest of the night until she could be seen this morning.

The vet told us that the problem is in her back. She probably has either a pinched nerve or a slipped disk. He gave her some heavier pain meds and told us that she needs to be on restriction for a couple of weeks to allow it to heal. If she doesn't get any better on the meds and rest he said the next option would be surgery. I was in total shock as I had no idea that all this could be in her back. She is a tropper and doesn't seem to be in too much pain, just lays around alot sleeping.

Has anyone every experience any back problems in their yorkies?? I had never heard of yorkies with back problems...mostly knee problems. Sailor is currently curdled up in her crate sleeping but I know she missing being able to play with the others...she is mentally ready but won't be physical for a while.

We are hoping with lots of rest that the problems will heal itself and she will be back on her feet soon...although the vet said NO more jumping on/off the furniture!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!