View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Welcome to Yorkie Talk! You are so smart and are to be commended for coming here to ask questions before deciding to take the puppy even though it is free, it is not the initial price of the dog that matters and it seems that you are more than aware of this.

Do you work or go to school or can you be with the puppy 24/7? Yorkie puppies need 24/7 care until at least 12 weeks of age in my opinion and 16 weeks would be better. Consider this when deciding when to take the puppy. I would recommend 12-16 weeks is best because it is past the point of real concern about the weaning and not eating well and the potential for hypoglycemia although that fear never goes away completely.

At 12 weeks they still should only be crated for short periods of time because their bladders are not fully formed and functional to allow them to "hold it" until 6 months at a minimum. They also crave human contact and it would not be fair to deprive such a social breed of the human companionship they desire although your other dog would be great company. I have three yorkies in my house now and a westie and a standard poodle as well as a cat so they are never bored, but I am self employed so my schedule allows me to be home a lot.

Anyway, welcome again, and I hope you work it all out and get her so we can read your stories!

Good luck!
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!